Monday 18 August 2014

7 random things I love about Ireland

1. Traffic lights


During my holidays in France, I stopped a bit too close to a traffic light and as a result couldn't see the colour properly. Instinctively, I looked straight ahead to check the one on the other side of the crossroads. But there was none. In France there is no traffic light facing you on the other side. And it's annoying. I hope you understand what I mean, and you don't think I'm crazy ( It may be too late for that...)

2. Cash back


Another brilliant Irish invention. If you pay by card in a shop, and you need some change, you can ask for "cash back". This comes really handy if there's no ATM around and you're stuck for change.

3. Shops opening times


In France there would be uproar, strike and protests (and there have been) if let's say, a shop was to open on Sunday. In my town, shops used to also be closed on Mondays. Yes, Mondays! It's not really the case anymore (thank God!), and the supermarkets were opened that day, but little shops in the village weren't... Here, the local Tesco opens from 8am till 10pm, every day. Some supermarkets are even opened 24hrs a day, and on Sunday. It's very useful when you're at some friends house, your son split his head open at 7pm on a Sunday, and you need skin closure strips... Believe me on that one.

4. Salted butter


Yum Yum. One thing I was immensely happy about when I moved here was the fact that Irish people eat salted butter. Just like in Brittany. I also know the purists are going to scream when they read this, but even though Irish butter is slightly less salted than the Breton one, it's good enough for me. After all, I know I will never get to eat this, so no point moaning:

Salted butter, with salt crystals from Guerande


 By the way, I still wonder why is salted butter used in Ireland, I thought it was a particularity of Brittany. Oh, I could nearly write a whole post on butter! But I don't want to bore you. 

5. Penneys


I said it before, I'll say it again: Penneys is wonderful for cheap clothes. Seriously, my sister wanted a little souvenir from Penneys when I went to France. A scarf and 2 tee-shirts: 10 Euros. Enough said.

6. The sun shows up once a day


Yes it does. And the day after you read this, pay attention, because I know I'm right. It could be early in the morning or late in the evening, but it always comes out at some point during the day. We (yes, I'm including myself in this) always complain about the weather in this country. Too hot, too cold, too wet, too windy and so on. One of my friends, who is from Paris, told me that over there, you can have days without seeing the sun. So we can consider ourselves lucky!

7. McVities digestive caramels



We do have a massive variety of biscuits in France, and I'm normally not too fond of biscuits in Ireland, but those ones are just yummy. Yummy Yummy Yummy!! I nearly bought an over-priced half packet when I was in France. But then I thought it didn't worth it. I can eat them every day here if I want (Except I don't because I'm trying to watch my weight after the "eating and drinking" holiday!)


What are the little things you like about Ireland?