Wednesday 18 December 2013

The crisps sandwich argument

It all started when I brought a mini banana cake at work, for one of my colleague. She was saying she loved banana sandwiches. I had never heard of that. Flamed banana or banana bread, yes, but not banana sandwich. 

Anyway, I don't remember how it happened, but we moved on talking about "crisps sandwich". I know what it is, but I always found odd to put crisps in a sandwich. I eat sandwiches, and I eat crisps, but they're on the side, not inside!

Needless to say I was the shame of the office for a while after my lovely colleague decided to tell everybody I never ate a crisps sandwich in my life. Apparently I cannot truly be Irish if I don't eat that.

So, in order to keep my pride, I'm eating this weird Irish culinary invention right now. I was told to do it with cheddar cheese. I added a bit of mayonnaise because how would the crisps stick otherwise? They would just go everywhere. I was also uncertain about the amount of crisps I was supposed to put in. The whole bag seemed a bit too much, so I opted for half. So this is how it looked:

My Tayto cheese and onion crisps sandwich

I'm gonna be honest. The beginning of the sandwich  was not easy to eat. The crisps did fall , even with the mayonnaise ( maybe I should have put butter instead?? Oh the dilemma!). It tasted good, but looking back I probably should have put more crisps in. I'm also realising now that I haven't cut it in a triangular shape (please don't hang me!).

I'm not gonna lie, it doesn't fare with French gastronomy, but for Irish standards, it's not bad. It probably tastes better after a good night out though !!